Re: [OM] Zuiko 200/f4

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 200/f4
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 08:48:00 -0600
At 07:24 PM 4/30/98 -0700, Ara Oshagan wrote:

[snip]
>I just bought a zuiko 200/f4 from KEH and I have
>already packed it to be sent back. The problems: 1) does not focus at
>infinity and  2)I see a ton of color fringing on edges (bluishness in
>this case). I suspect the latter is due to non-APO-ness. Has anyone run
>across these problems? With lens? All my other zuikos are fantastically
>sharp and with very accurate color rendition. The quality of this  one
>was quite dissapointing... and surprinsing: I guess even zuikos can be
>lemons.

Ara:

I own two 200mm F/4.0's, one "old-style" (silvered lens barrel on the front
edge) and one "new-style".  I have not noticed these problems with either of
them, and neither of them are APO lenses.  I suspect that the elements in your
lens have been knocked slightly out-of-whack, or you truly do have a "lemon."

I'm thinking of getting rid of the "old-style" 200mm F/4.0.  Lemme know in
private e-mail if you're at all interested.  Otherwise, just get your money
back from KEH and look around again.

By the by, what enlargement factor were you using (if the results were prints)?

Garth