Re: [OM] OM-2S Problem: Can You Help Me?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S Problem: Can You Help Me?
From: "Doug Nowlin" <wa5ohb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 21:43:03 -0500
>Hi Doug,
>
>Would it be "bottom" if the trouble were on the rear of the lens itself?
On
>this particular lens (35-70 f3.5-4.5) I have what I believe is a bit of
>fungus on the rear element in a half-moon ring towards what would be the
>bottom edge of the element.  Since this had not seemed to be a problem in
>the past, I didn't worry about it. Do you suppose that some strange
>combination of lens fungus and polarizer causes a weird flare of this kind?
>(I may have to try John H's Pond's Cold Cream remedy after all.)
>
>If anybody else is still interested, the site is
>
>        http://www.uiowa.edu/~uaactr/polterimage.htm
>
>Thanks,
>
>Joel

The rays of light swap places inside the lens so it would probably be on the
bottom. Logic would tell you that you should be able to see in the
viewfinder what is going on the film. However, your eye and the film do not
register light in the same manner, and this is not necessarily so. The eye
has more latitude and does not respond the same to all wavelengths in the
same manner as film. That fungus could be creating a ring of light that is
visible to the film but invisible to your eye. It could also be cement or
coating failure instead of fungus. Also, if the bottom string is doing a
no-no, it would have little place to go but up.

Doug