Re: [OM] EOS

Subject: Re: [OM] EOS
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 21:03:41 +0000
Here is what you have to do to take a spot reading with one of those
wonderbricks - Nikon F601 (6006 in US)

assuming you are in auto-everything mode and wish to switch to
aperture priority and take a spot reading:

 Slide aperture lock switch on lens to OFF position
 Press button A and rotate dial
 Press button B and rotate dial
 point at the spot you want to meter and half press the shutter
 release button and simultaneously slide switch C to lock the
 exposure
 recompose and shoot - if your subject is still on the same
continent.

Oh, and if the spot you are metering is not the same as the
bit you want in focus -

 operate switch D to deactivate auto-focus and manually focus as
 switch C locks the exposure and the focus.

Don't forget to reset switch C and D after you take the shot or else
all subsequent photos will be stuffed.

And you were were worried about resetting the self timer on the OM4 -
Ha!

Yes you can do some wonderful things with these wonderbricks but
shoot rings around a retro-grouch? - only where moving targets are
concerned or fancy flash modes are required I think.

The Nikon F5 has this 3D colour matrix metering - can anyone explain
why, given the latitude of most films.  I have to say the matrix
metering of the F601 - which is a couple of generations out of date I
think - is pretty good, so I fail to see the supposed need for all
the metering firepower in the F5.

Now if it could meter infra red! - hey! a feature for the OM5 - or
would you need to pack a flask of liquid nitrogen?

Giles