Re: [OM] EOS

Subject: Re: [OM] EOS
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 19:37:58 -0400
>>Part of the problem is that we are trying to use old techniques with new
technology.  When you get one of these new wonder-bricks it is vital that
you learn photography in a whole new way.  >>

Right, like set everything on auto and let 'er rip <g>. Technology has made
it possible for a novice to get a very high percentage of properly exposed
and in-focus photos. When I started, I was lucky if I got a half-dozen per
roll. The flip side is that the novice is unable to figure out how the bad
ones might be corrected, becuase he hasn't gone throgh the learning process.

>>However for many types of photography I know exactly what needs to be set
and how to set it without spending five minutes reprogramming the camera to
make it possible.  Time spent configuring the camera to take a picture
might better be used actually taking the picture>>

Well said. When I was young and poor I used a Pentax MX and three lenses
for several years. Being the technophile that I am <g> I got rid of it all
and got a Nikon 8008s. I was sure it was much superior. I finally got tired
of stretching my little finger to find the focus lock while stretching
another finger to keep the meter locked, and realized that yes, it *is*
much easier to simply turn the focussing ring 1/16" of an inch.

So, while I kept the 8008s for certain things (active subjects and flash
photography), I went 'back' to manual focus and Olympus.

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com