Re: [OM] 1-8 focusing screen

Subject: Re: [OM] 1-8 focusing screen
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 18:54:10 -0400
Teemu Oinonen wrote:

>I know the 1-8 screen is intended to be used with long telephoto lenses
>and in astrophotography. Can it be used for general and close-up
>photography? Any precautions when changing the screen?

When you look at the focusing screen / lens compatibility table that
accompanies all new focusing screens, you'll see that Olympus claims
the 1-8 is *only* compatible with super tele's and telescopes; when you
look at the focusing screen table that is printed in some camera
booklets, they say that more precise focusing with the 1-8 can be
obtained by using the Varimagnifinder.
I think basically they're right. Because of the very fine matte,
focusing is much more delicate and therefore slower than with normal
matted screens like the 1-4. This becomes specifically a bigger problem
when the DOF of the lens is larger which is the case when you use
anything shorter than a super tele. So it *can* be used for shorter
lenses, but it certainly isn't ideal. Maybe it will perform acceptable
when you use it for macro photography - I never tried that combination
before -, but for general photography you're much better off with a
1-4, 1-10 or 2-4. At least when you're looking for an all-matte screen.
These screens are also very well suitable for close up / macro up to
lifesize.
BTW, I don't like the 1-8 and the 1-7 (microprism/clear field) screens
at all. I bought these just to try them, but at all times I found the
'4' screens (specifically the 2-4) much more satisfying in the super
tele range. But this is a matter of taste, I suppose.

"Venus and Mars look alright tonight" - [Linda Eastman-McCartney,
photographer]

Hans