Re: [OM] Tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripods
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 09:50:22 -0500
>What do you folks use?     I have read many posts in the newsgroups
>about the Bogen 3001 legset and a good ball head ( Bogen, Slik, Linhof,
>Kaiser or Foba ).    This seems to be good for combo for stability,
>weight, ease of use and cost.      Any perferences for the ball head?
>Other legsets to consider?     The heaviest camera / lens combo I have
>would be the OM-2n + 300/4.5.

The Bogen 3001 with ball head is an excellent combination, although a bit
heavy for backpacking (where photography might be a secondary activity).
This is my favorite platform though as it works for 900f my shooting.  I
do have a smallish Davis/Sanford (or is it Sanford/Davis) tripod that is
extremely light weight.  I removed the worthless 2-way head from it and put
a large studio-flash ball head on the center post (1.5 inch ball).  The
center post was way too long, so I cut it to about 9 inches and smoothed the
cut edge.  With the center post removed from the tripod and the ball head
flopped to the side, this works great as a shoulder-stock.  I can go from
shoulder-stock shooting to tripod shooting in about three seconds.  I think
the entire weight of the tripod/head is about three pounds.  It's a little
short, but fully articulating and can get to ground level.  I carry this
everywhere and is indespensable.  For telephoto use, hang your bag from the
tripod to stabilize it.

Ken N.