Re: [OM] Identifying a filter and how to use it

Subject: Re: [OM] Identifying a filter and how to use it
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 17:46:23 +0200
Lars Bergquist wrote:

> Wrote Ian Stewart:
>
> >I don't understand this (perhaps because I don't yet have a
> >polarizing filter). I thought that the idea of a 'circular'
> >polarizer was that there is no need to rotate the thing, and
> >therefore it can be screwed on to the front of a zoom or whatever?
> >If so, then why is there a triangle mark and instructions about
> >rotating it?

People use polarizing filter because they want to use only the polarized
part of light, reflected from the objects they are photgraphing. The
reason, to use just the polarized part of light, is that stray light,
haze, is mostly not polarized, by cuting out the non polarized light the
colors will be more saturated, reflections will disapear and the sky
will darken and show more contrast. It´s like an "MC coating" of the
sky.
It´s not important for the image whats happens after the filter, because
the unwanted light parts are already eliminated. Circular or linear are
just two ways to make the filter compatible with your camera meter.

There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Richard