RE: [OM] Identifying a filter and how to use it

Subject: RE: [OM] Identifying a filter and how to use it
From: David Hughes - SHR <Dave.J.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 16:17:56 -0400
This is a bit speculative - all my polarizing filters are linear (OM-1 and
OM-2 user).

A circular polarizer is a linear polarizer with a second element (a quarter
wave plate ?) on the output side.  The light passing through the front
element (the linear polarizer) is linearly polarized, then it is
"de-polarized" by the following element - or maybe the correct term is
"...it is circularly polarized...."

If you place one linear polarizer in front of a second linear polarizer, you
should be able to completely block all light passing through the two filters
- when the polarization axes are perpendicular to each other.  On the other
hand, I would think that if the first polarizer (the one farthest from your
eye) is a circular polarizer, then you should not get a complete null when
you rotate the two polarizers relative to each other.

/Dave