[OM] Identifying a filter and how to use it

Subject: [OM] Identifying a filter and how to use it
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 08:50:40 -0700 (PDT)
I got a filter that is attached to a Zuiko lens I acquired,
and I'd like to identify it.  It is not the normal 1A or UV
or Haze/Skylight filters found on most lenses but is a little
darker.  It rotates freely with a separate mounting collar.
The markings on the edge are:

    V    Hoya  PL    49  Japan

Where the "V" is a triangular arrow.  "49" obviously refers
to the size.  And I don't know what the "PL" means.

My guess is that it is a Polarizing filter, and if it is, since
I have never used one before, I have the following questions:

1) Is it OK to leave a Polarizing filter mounted at all times
   on the lens, does it hurt anything?  Or should I replace it
   with a 1A and mount it only when I need it?
2) I know the Polarizing filter can be used to cut out glare,
   but how do I use the arrow for proper orientation?
3) What are the other situations to use the Polarizing filter?
4) Any advice on using the Polarizing filter with flash?  How
   well does it cut out the reflections from shiny surfaces?

Thanks in advance.  By the way, the pictures in the Unofficial
Olympus Gallery were great.  Good job, everyone.
        -Dan