Re: [OM] Varimagnifinder Lost Magnification

Subject: Re: [OM] Varimagnifinder Lost Magnification
From: Kennedy <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 21:13:28 +0100
In article , VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx writes
>I have a strange problem with my Varimagnifinder. When I attach it to
>an OM-3 or OM-4 (not Ti's) I can only use the 1.2x magnification. When
>I turn it into 2.5x, the subject gets completely blurred and there's no
>way to get it into focus. When I attach it to an OM-2n, everything
>seems to work as it is supposed to.
>The setup I used for testing was the 300/4.5 mounted on a tripod with
>the 2xA teleconverter attached to it. The lens was focused to text
>printed on a car some 50 meters away. This setup allowed me to change
>cameras while retaining focus. The 3 and 4 used the 2-4 focusing
>screen, the 2n used the 1-8. The idea I had that perhaps the 2-4 would
>not be compatible with the Varimagnifinder turned out false - the 1-8
>in the OM-4 did not solve the problem. No need to say the eye
>correction of the 3 and 4 were set up correctly - I checked that the
>metering symbols were sharp in focus, and an 1-12 screen showed
>distinct cross-hairs. Removing the teleconverter also made no
>difference. Macro setups had the same problem.
>Has anybody heard of this problem? Are the viewfinders of the 3 and 4
>not compatible with the Varimagnifinder, or can it be fixed?

Despite checking the eye correction that still sounds like where the
problem lies, Hans.  When viewing the meter symbols for correct focus,
and also the crosshairs, you have set the correction up optimally for
YOUR eyes.  The varimagnifier is designed for a fixed diopter setting,
and changing the magnification indicates that it is viewing through the
wrong diopter eyepiece.  The fact that it workes with the fixed diopter
OM-2 shows that its not the VM that is out of adjustment, althought that
in itself would not indicate maladjustment of the VM, since it could
also be a problem with the other viewfinder too (as Steven Chung's post
might indicate).  In that case you would need a diopterscope to check
the settings of both viewfinders and have the VM adjusted if necessary.

Try setting up the OM-4 eyepiece adjustment to give sharp focus with the
VM at both settings - it should then be at the same dioper setting as
the OM-2.  Then view directly and see if it appears unsharp - it
shouldn't, but depending on your eyesight it might.  If it does then you
need to have different diopter settings for normal use and with the VM
and, more importantly, you need to use a diopter correction with the OM-
2 when not using the VM.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)