[OM] Varimagnifinder Lost Magnification

Subject: [OM] Varimagnifinder Lost Magnification
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 06:12:32 -0400
I have a strange problem with my Varimagnifinder. When I attach it to
an OM-3 or OM-4 (not Ti's) I can only use the 1.2x magnification. When
I turn it into 2.5x, the subject gets completely blurred and there's no
way to get it into focus. When I attach it to an OM-2n, everything
seems to work as it is supposed to.
The setup I used for testing was the 300/4.5 mounted on a tripod with
the 2xA teleconverter attached to it. The lens was focused to text
printed on a car some 50 meters away. This setup allowed me to change
cameras while retaining focus. The 3 and 4 used the 2-4 focusing
screen, the 2n used the 1-8. The idea I had that perhaps the 2-4 would
not be compatible with the Varimagnifinder turned out false - the 1-8
in the OM-4 did not solve the problem. No need to say the eye
correction of the 3 and 4 were set up correctly - I checked that the
metering symbols were sharp in focus, and an 1-12 screen showed
distinct cross-hairs. Removing the teleconverter also made no
difference. Macro setups had the same problem.
Has anybody heard of this problem? Are the viewfinders of the 3 and 4
not compatible with the Varimagnifinder, or can it be fixed?

Hans