Re: [OM] Future OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Future OM
From: GPaul64 <GPaul64@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 22:18:31 EDT

<< Olympus could, if they WANTED to, build an OM-5/OM-6 that could easily
match
 the performance/interchangeability of the current Nikon F5. Nikon, in
 building the F5 (as well as the N70 and N90), unlike Canon, with the EOS
 series, has kept total compatibility with almost every Nikon lens they've
 ever built. Bayonet on an AF lens, you get AF. Bayonet on an MF lens, either
 new or twenty years old, and you get MF. It's that simple. Sure, with the
 older lenses you lose some of the modern features, but the lenses are still
 fully functional to the limit of their design capacity. Will Olympus ever
 build such a camera? We can hope, can't we? I personally doubt it, but my
 point is, it could be easily done.

I confess that my true desire is >not< a new Olympus camera.   On the
contrary, I am very satisfied with my 4 and 4T and feel that the combination
of light weight, ruggedness, and excellent exposure system leave little to be
desired.   Further, I have no burning desire for autofocus.  I don't do much
wildlife, and what I do, I haven't felt at a real loss because I didn't have
autofocus.   In fact, I just read an article in Photo Life (Canadian mag)
about Rod Planck.   He is a celebrated wildlife photographer who admits to
having only one slide in his entire collection that was taken with an
autofocus camera.   So as far as cameras go, Oly is still great for me and
will remain great.

What may eventually force me to look elsewhere is the lack of modern lenses in
the Zuiko line, especially in the telephoto range.    No flames here please,
but we must admit that with a few exceptions, most of the lenses in the Zuiko
lineup were designed over a quarter-century ago, and are beginning to show
some age.  It is a testament to the greatness of the designs that many still
hold up today, but the edge is slipping.   Notable too is the lack of a
modern, pro-quality zoom in the 80-200 or 100-300 range, a telephoto macro
(>180mm), and an internal focusing 300 with ED glass.   We are even seeing
greater advances elsewhere with the introduction of "macro telephoto zooms".
If Oly came out with only one of these, I would be "Oly forever".

Just my $.02

Thanks,

Greg Logiodice,
Nyack, NY