Re: [OM] OM on the FRONT cover of the National Geographic

Subject: Re: [OM] OM on the FRONT cover of the National Geographic
From: wijsmuller@xxxxxx
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 20:50:35 +0000
Robert Ashdown wrote:

> Someone recently (sorry, forgotten who) was talking about all the
> National Geographic Olympus ads.

Well it wasn't literature, could have been more subtle.
sorry for that.

> I stumbled across a National Geographic on the weekend that has OM on
> the back AND the front covers! It's Vol 154, No. 4, October 1978. The
> back has an ad for the new OM2, the front cover has a shot of Koko the
> gorilla photographing herself in a mirror with an OM2!

Thanks for your information. I'm certainly trying to get a hold on
that issue!

I like an OM-1 add: 'small wonder'. It has a nice photo of an OM-1 in
a blue-grey light, with some text. For those of you who want to
'get a feel', this is the accompanying text:

"       The Olympus OM-1 MD. The smallest, at 23.3 oz,* the lightest,
quietest standard format 35mm SLR in the world. An entirely fresh
concept in photography.
        Moreover, the OM-1 MD is an engineering wonder, too. Since it weighs
about 35 0.000000e+00ss than most other SLRs, it rests in your hands as if it
were born there. Yet our engineers sacrificed nothing in their
scrupulous weight-paring. Some parts, in fact, were made larger thans
their conventional counterparts in order to maximize performance.
        Press the shutter release. You must listen closely because there's
virtually no noise. The OM-1 MD has a unique air damper along with a
system of over 20 shock absorbers to eliminate mirror shock. So
there's hardly any vibration when you press the shutter release.
        Look through the viewfinder. Its area is 30% larger than on other
SLRs, and the field of vision is 970f the actual picture area.
        To make it the most flexible camera you could ever own, the OM-1 MD
is provided with a host of accessories. From Photomicrography and
Macrophotography to Close-Up Photography and a remarkable light
weight attach-it-yourself Motor Drive Group. There's nothing you
can't do with an OM-1 MD.
        You owe it to yourself to investigate the OM-1 MD. We think it's
going to revolutionize photography.
        Small wonder.

* (660 grams) with standard F 1.8 lens."

Nice prophetic (top 20) last words.

Greetings,

Frank Wijsmuller.