Re: [OM] Zuiko 75-150 opinions and folklore

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 75-150 opinions and folklore
From: Soenke Jansen <SoJa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 10:45:07 +0200
Christopher Biggs wrote:
[...]
> Now, what can anybody tell me about this lens?
> Subjective and/or biased opinions are actively solicited, I'll take a
> spot reading off each and average...

[...]
Hi Christopher,
good deal, I'd say! Over here you'd pay something like US$140 for the
lens (at least that's what I paid).
Advantages: This lens is relatively light and small when compared to the
other zuikos for this zoom range. With the 35-70/3,5-4,5 and this one I
do some 800f my slides. Although most macro-purists will get the
creeps: the combination of the 75-150 and the 40cm-close-up-lens gives a
simple and really lightweight set-up for not too critical macro-work,
roughly in the range of 1:4 up to 1:2. But you have to stop down to at
least f8, so in most cases you'll need a flash on a cord as well.
Disadvantages: Slides taken with the 75-150 do seem to be a bit at the
'soft' side, not quite as 'crunchy' as I'd like them. This lens (at
least my specimen, which should be MC according to the FAQ) is *very*
flare-prone. The built in hood doesn't help a lot (does anyone have an
idea as to flare-reduction with this lens?).
Lots of fun with it. Having bought it at that price will make it even
more pleasurable to use I guess :-)

Soenke, Hamburg