Re: [OM] US air travel (was: Back from Sonora/Mojave)

Subject: Re: [OM] US air travel (was: Back from Sonora/Mojave)
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 14:26:54 -0800
Ulf Westerberg wrote:

>>How can a such a big, developed and otherwise very well organized country
>>have such a crappy domestic air-line system? Not only was our flight
>>delayed, more than half of the departures from both Phoenix and San
>>Fransisco were! For a while I thought I was in China or somewhere.

No, no, not China! India is our guiding light when we need a lesson or
two in organizational skills. :-)

Ulf, flying into SF clearly has some inherent risks due to SF Bay Area
weather patterns (fog!!), as well as runways layout at SFO. LAX would
be a much better choice -- it's always open, has more runways, and more
non-stop flights to/from the US. Besides, it's cheaper to fly to LA :-)

Ken (zillions of miles a year) Norton wrote:

[snip]
>Worst US international airports:  JFK-New York, Dulles-Washington DC,
>Los Angeles.
>Best US international airports:  Chicago, Minneapolis, Boston

LAX -- worst? Chicago -- best? Surely you jest.

>Favorite US airports:  Greensboro, So. Carolina; Ontario (Los Angeles).

Hmm, never heard of either (just kidding :-)).
Here's my own little list, in North America, major airports only.

Avoid if possible: JFK and La Guardia (both in NYC), Chicago O'Hare,
Denver, Miami, St. Louis, Dalllas-Ft. Worth, Philadelphia.

Better than most: Tampa, Orlando, LAX, San Francisco, Las Vegas,
Kansas City, Seattle, Toronto, Vancouver, Pittsburgh, Honolulu.

Obligatory photographic content:

Airports with nice vistas & good photo opportunities: Honolulu and
Salt Lake City (the latter also has a fine permanent photo exhibit).

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx