Re: [OM] tripod ring grip

Subject: Re: [OM] tripod ring grip
From: ONLYOLY BW <ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 22:47:36 EST
In a message dated 98-04-01 04:46:12 EST,
Frank you write:
<< AFAIK only one tripod collar has been made (by Olympus, that is, not
 counting the possible aftermarket ones).
 This unique collar definitely fits the 65-116 tube, the 300mm lens and
 also the 85-250 zoom (all having the same diameter on the place where
 the collar should come). >

Frank you are right!
A closer look today at the new collars I received from Olympus found that
somehow 2 pieces of tape were on each collar making it to thick and impossible
to fit onto my old 85-250.  Also, my 85-250 collar has the tightening knob on
the right hand side where as the ones on the 300 and 65-116 tube had it on the
left, with the arrow facing the front of the lens.  This was the reason I
wanted to change my collar on the old 85-150, the knob was to close to the
motor drive handle.  I bought the 85-250 New in about 1985 so I guess Olympus
made a change since then?

To Gary Reese,
Now we know why your collar did not fit tight on your 2Xa.  With all this
extra tape on hand I decided to remove the rubber - band around my 2Xa leaving
a nice groove for the collar to fit in.  I ended up with 5 thicknesses of tape
inside the collar and now the converter will rotate very nicely where as
before I had to leave it in horizonal.
BW