Re: [OM] UK Lense sale + Used Cameras FAQ

Subject: Re: [OM] UK Lense sale + Used Cameras FAQ
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 23:33:06 EST
Hi Paul:

<< It seems that beauty is in the eye of the beholder! >>

Thanks for your perspective!  I like to leave a dealer feeling like they won
also.  Makes for more pleasant shopping in the future (i.e., they are willing
to chat with you and show you the new stock, rather than go looking for
something they need to do).

Paying $300 for a 40 mm f/2.0 would be a good example of your statement above.
I just saw a 1980s era ad for OM equipment in a Modern Photography.  The 40 mm
Zuiko was about $84 - the same as the 50 mm f/1.4  That boutique lens is
rather overpriced based on cost/performance.  But it does makes a nice
collector's piece - probably because so few sold and it's one of, if not the
smallest 35 mm SLR lenses of all time.  (I recall Pentax had an answer to it's
compactness, but can't recall the details.)

<< Those who shop strictly for PRICE usually get what they pay for. >>

I buy on a cost/performance ratio.  The higher the performance for the $$ the
bigger the thrill.  But I am walking a tight rope lately and will likely get
burned.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV