Re: [OM] Re: 180mm f2 auction

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 180mm f2 auction
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 10:12:04 GMT
On Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:00:05 -0600, "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Who are these people who can afford to spend that kind of money on this type
>of lens?  Is it THAT good?  Will it compose the picture by itself?  Ah! it
>must be autofocus--that's it!  No?   Oh, it comes with a OM-4Ti attached!  I
>knew there was something special about a $7700 lens.
>
>Ken Norton

You are not too far away from the truth, Ken.
When I bought my used black 350/2.8 from the US (for $1500, almost two
years ago), it came, all to my suprise, with a 1.4 xA converter and an
OM4 (not T, <g>)  body attached. The aluminium case has enough room
behind the lens rear end to keep these two small accessories on your
lens forever!

About the price: Of course these lense were meant for professional use
only when designed. Times have changed now. Olympus may try to keep
the price in the $7k-8k range (and far more than that in Europe) but
nobody is going to pay that much anymore. The 180/2 is for sale new
here for about $3000. A good user must cost no more than $1500-2000.
So must the good user 250/2, which I am still looking for....

Prices having dropped that much, these lenses become interesting for
the amateur-collector as well. And believe me or not: some collectors
do indeed hope that the OM-system will die soon. It will supposedly
increase the value of their existing collections.
Some people buy stocks for investment, others collect works of art for
the same purpose, and somewhere in between people buy Zuikos.... Only
the last category can make good use of their collections too, creating
others, of... pictures!

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht - NL