Re: [OM] How Do They Die?

Subject: Re: [OM] How Do They Die?
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 02:43:01 EST
Duncan wrote:

<< My OM-4 died on me after some (not too strenuous use) in a steamy Peruvian
jungle. I assume some condensation got to the guts of it and shorted a circuit
board or something >>

Glad to hear someone else attributing problems to humidity or condensation.
Perhaps the planes were air conditioned amd the gear got condensation every
time you went into the wilds?  I'm starting to see the light here and I'll
also call it condensation shorting.  Mine was going from air conditioned
vehicles to humid forests and marshes.

Which reminds me that I've previously mentioned my original OM-2 which was
declared a lemon by OLY factory service.  It went on the electronics fritz
everytime it was subjected to high morning humidity at high summer in
Missouri.

In 1994-5, I worked for 16 months in Florida and avoided air conditioning
becase I HAD to get used to working in the field every day.  Too big a change
in temperature and humidity can make one lethargic when subjected to the high
heat index of the outdoors.  The OM-2S NEVER had a metering problem that whole
time.  But the meter started spiking on me when I started photographing winter
scenes in Nevada and humid prairies in Florida AND took the equipment from
either bone dry house interiors to moist cold, or air conditioned cars and
housing to morning dew laden prairies.  Hum...

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV