Re: [OM] Olympus in Tokyo

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus in Tokyo
From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 17:11:24 -0500
Looking over Gary Reese' post on the subject reminded me that I omitted a
few things I had wanted to mention.

When I was at the Olympus Plaza for the first time, I explored every single
room that was open to the public.  There are two galleries there as well as
a good chunk of the third floor devoted to the microscopes, endoscopes,
etc., which is much larger than the Olympus Service Center room on the
first floor.

When we think of Olympus, we don't think of other Olympus products through
which Olympus makes more money.  Those institutional customers are the ones
who still order the OM-4Tis through local Olympus dealers.  We are
consumers who buy at the small level even if we buy new.

A few more things while I am at it.  Although I have not seen many MO
drives advetised or sold in the US, they seem to be more common in Japan.
I have seen a huge amount of MO disks being displayed while it is difficult
to find regular floppy disks.  Zip disks are there but MO disks occupy more
spaces.
Sometimes Japan is a trend setter in electronic goods, not the US.  I am
wondering if MO drives are things of the future (Olympus does make a couple
of MO drives).

This morning I compared the OM2000 brochures, one by Olympus Japan and the
other by Olympus America.  Olympus Japan puts more info on the new 70-210mm
in the brochure.  They have a table of all the Zuiko lenses with prices and
practically all the illustrations (most of which Olympus America uses in
their OM2000 brochure) bear legends indicating which lens was being used.
The multiple exposure picture was made by two lenses, a 90mm macro and a
35-70mm zoom which comes in a kit with the OM2000.  The illustration of
spot metering used a Zuiko 21mm (1/1000s F4.0).

The OM-4T brochure has an illustration of the alluminum alloy chassis and
the top and bottom covers made of titanium.  This picture convinces me and
those, who appreciate the cost of precision machining, about the
manufacturing cost of the OM-4Ti.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/
-All the photos (except panorama) with OM's-
http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=1130
-Olympus Equipment Classifieds-