Re: [OM] 2-13 Focusing Screen at Yodobashi

Subject: Re: [OM] 2-13 Focusing Screen at Yodobashi
From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 00:19:51 -0500
>I also visited Olympus Plaza, where I picked up the latest brochure
>dated Feb.1998. It shows some discontinued items, 85F2 and T32,
>although its zoom-adaptor and color-filters are still alive.

The OM system brochure I picked up at Yodobashi is dated July, 1996.  The
prices of the 85mm/2 and of the 95mm/2 macro are 53,000 and 98,000 yen,
respectively.  These are Oly's prices.  Yodobashi had a price of 39750yen
for the 85mm/2.  This calculates to be a discount of 250ver the list.
Yodobashi is apparently absorbing the cost of the 5onsumption tax.  They
told me their price for the 90mm macro is 70,000 yen or so.  Seven sticks
in my mind and I don't know the rest of the price.  I thought that 70,000
yen was too much and I bought an 85mm/2 without too much hesitation. I like
its compactness.

Yodobashi had a demo of the 90mm macro and I got an impression that they
sell the macro more than the 85mm/2, which might be why Olympus is dropping
the 85mm/2 production.

I am wondering how the Feb 98 brochure lists prices of the 90mm macro and
the OM-3Ti/4Ti.  According to the Olympus Web site price list, updated in
March, 1998, the OM-3Ti is still at 20,000 yen and the OM-4Ti is at 18,000
yen.  The street price of the 3Ti appears to be about 14,0000 yen. (30%
discount) and that of the 4Ti is about 13,500 yen.  I got these street
prices from an ad in the March issue of Asahi Camera.

My impression is that these bodies sell better in Japan than in the US.
The demos of these were on the counter along with that of the OM2000.  That
of the Leica R8 looked like a giant compared to the other manual-focus
cameras displayed as demo.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/
-All the photos (except panorama) with OM's-
http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=1130
-Olympus Equipment Classifieds-