Re: [OM] Films to put in OM for travel

Subject: Re: [OM] Films to put in OM for travel
From: Ken Norton <kenorton@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 07:55:57 -0600
My slide films of choice:

Sensia:  It really does look like provia except for the base is clear.  I
find it more stable than Provia too.  I can nuke it through airport x-ray
machines more times than Provia without noticable problems (fogging in the
shadows).

Fujichrome 50:  Tons cheaper than Velvia and with more latitude.  I still
can find a stray batch of it around once in a while.  I've done many
head-to-head tests against Velvia and decided that I like the shadow detail
in F50 much better.  It still has better color saturation than any 100
speed film I've tried and the grain structure is comfortable.  Best of all,
I can shoot it at ISO 50 not 40 that I have to do with Velvia. Once in a
while I will get an entire batch and let it ripen until the colors are just
right and then freeze em.  F50 when brand new can be a little cold.

My print films of choice:

Right now I only use two:  Fuji NHK 400.  Awesome skin tones!  This is my
wedding/portrait film  Forget anything else, this film is almost perfect.
The grain is exceptionally tight (when processed properly).

Fuji 800.  Other than the slight pinkish skin tones and very slight
increase in grain, this film is great.  Push it to 1600 and it is the best
sports film made!

My B&W films of choice:

Well, I'm relearning t-max.  So far, I hate it, but it's growing on me like
a fungus.

Ken Norton
Quincy Illinois.