Re: [OM] Zuiko lens contrast

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko lens contrast
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 14:38:14 +0100
Omer Nezih Gerek wrote:

>We have made several controlled experiments with Nikon and Oly, using
>the same class of lenses : 50/1.8, same film, same developing, etc.
>
>The results agree with what Ulf says. Actually, a closer look (extreme
>magnification) shows that Zuikos show much more apochromatic behaviour
>than Nikkors. When the line separations are in color (e.g. blue/red),
>they appear very sharp, clear, and contrasty on Zuiko photos. Nikkors
>show diffusion between colors and less contrast. The pictures at a first
>glance would indicate that the ones by Oly are "sharper" and "crispier",
>although the details show that they are essentially at the same
>resolution.
>
>My Nikon FM-2 owner friend simply sold his' because he could not find
>a reasonably priced adapter for mounting Zuiko lenses. Oly was the only
>solution since he could not afford a Leica.

All this made me think of a lecture I once attended held by a lady
photographer showing her Galapagos trannies for an audience of 100%
photographers, amateur, pro or in between. Everybody was stunned, not only
by the fauna of these islands, but by her immaculate technique. Many
commented that they had never ever seen so sharp, contrasty and colourful
slides before. Eventually she became a little embarrassed about it all as
questions about her equipment never seemed to stop, and it turned out she
had swapped all of it for "something more modern".

What had she used, then? OM-4, lenses 300/4.5, 180/2.8 and 90/2 on
Kodachrome 64. (Don't know about filters).

In this atmosphere, she even refused to say what her new "more modern" brand
was!

Ulf Westerberg