Re: [OM] Films to put in OM for travel

Subject: Re: [OM] Films to put in OM for travel
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 13:58:13 +0100
Foxy wrote:

>When I went to Antarctica, I was recommended to take Sensia rather than
>Ecktachrome, as ecktachrome had a magenta bias. Is this true? It's been 15
>years since I've shot Ecktachrome. I used it for blues and jackaranda
shots-
>which it was very good at then.

I haven't shot very much Ektachrome lately, I'll leave this to others

>According to this Velvia should be great. Does it pink out in snow?

Yes, snow in sunset conditions etc. pink out, just as clouds do. I love it,
then again, others may loathe it! In midday light, I would say all Fujis
show a bluish cast if not corrected by a skylight filter with the Zuikos.
I've read somewhere that this more or less holds for all E6 films, anybody
out there know if this can be true? Kodachromes have a very good reputation
for faithful reproduction of snow.

Oh, one thing about Velvia that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread,
it's very sensitive to development conditions, more so than any other E6
film. Results can vary quite a lot between different labs. My first
encounter with Velvia years back gave very strange neon-like results, I
changed lab to a Q-marked Kodak lab (!) and results are much more consistent
and natural-looking since.

Ulf Westerberg