Re: [OM] Salt Water Damage

Subject: Re: [OM] Salt Water Damage
From: Mike Lipphardt <liphardt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 23:52:17 -0500
Well, perhaps a little submarine launched missile lore will help - although
I make absolutely no guarantees.

When we did a flight test of the Sea Lance anti-submarine missile (which
never went into produciton - good or bad depending on if your job depended
on it - which mine did, working at Westinghouse) we had the Navy techs
rinse the innards out with _distilled or deionized_ water (not drinking
water) before shipping it back to us for post-flight testing and/or failure
analysis.  They had to do it _fast_ though, otherwise the electronics would
corrode to junk - the differing metals in combination with seawater formed
a battery and plated themselves onto each other willy-nilly, even without
system power.  Not good.  Not to mention the salt-water corrosion.  And
this was in a weapon system designed to handle environmetal unfriendliness.

So, at this point I'd say you're out of luck.  Maybe immediate attention
and rinsing as I described would have saved it, but after any delay, the
damage is probably pretty extensive.

Sorry.  I vore "cry" also.