[OM] Macro coupling rings and T32 flashes

Subject: [OM] Macro coupling rings and T32 flashes
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 08:34:25 -0700
At 09:03 AM 25/02/98 -0500, Tomoko Yamamoto wrote:

>I had said in my earlier post that the macro coupling ring I bought was
>plastic.  I would like to correct that statement.
>
>I have just tested the ring to see if it floats on the water or not.  It
>sank right in.  Apparently the paint job was not too good and I can see a
>couple of  tiny spots where paint has been peeled off, which looks silvery.
> This ring must be made of some die-cast aluminum alloy, and it is very
>light, but it does not appear to be plastic.

If there's paint on it (worse, if it's *peeling*), I wouldn't recommend
glueing two rings together; the paint could give way without warning --
kiss your front-mounted lens goodbye, at worst.  I'd sand the surfaces that
are to be glued until the paint's removed, and then make them as smooth as
possible (contrary to popular belief, smooth surfaces provide a better bond
for most glues than do rough surfaces).

Using tape would obviate the need for sanding etc., but as others have
already pointed out, the strength of this solution is likely inferior to
glueing.

On another front, I've been involved in several eBay auctions since my
first (disappointing) foray.  The other auctions I've been successful on
I've also been uniformly pleased and surprised with.

The latest acquisition is a T32 w/Power Bounce Grip 2, 0.6 meter TTL cord,
flash zoom adapter, M.Grip cord, AC adapter for the T32 and a spare (brand
new!) calculator panel for the T32.  Oh yes, and the nice fella threw in a
leatherette Oly case that accepts an OM camera with a Winder 2 attached
(which I happen to own).  The entire price?  About $205 U.S., which struck
me as very reasonable, and it's been lovingly cared for.  I was *extremely*
pleased with this purchase.

I'm curious, though: if Oly is actually discontinuing the T32, what are
they planning on replacing it with?  The 280's a dog, IMHO (seriously
underpowered if you use it in full "sync-at-any-shutter-speed" mode), and
the G40, while a nice high-powered flash, only works on the IS-3 (I
think?).  It's been ten years since I owned a T32, and I was once again
struck by the compactness, intelligent design and high power output of the
flash.  What's Olympus thinking these days?  Or (in my dream of dreams) are
they planning on replacing it with a T32A (a la NCC-1701A, for those of you
who like Star Trek), which can do automatic fill-flash at ratios from full
power down to (say) one-fifth?

And on a related note: anyone got a clean used T32 they wanna sell me?  I
think I'll start collecting these babies...

Garth Wood