Re: [OM] Tripod head for OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripod head for OM
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 14:14:58 +1100
I really like the hex plate system, even though I had the same problem with
inadequate clearance when mounting my 90mm Zuiko macro lens onto the
Bogen/Manfrotto hex plate adaptor.

I solved the problem by cutting a small piece of 3mm thick PVC plastic
sheet the same size as the top of the hex plate, but removing one corner
(the line of the cut coincides with the front edge of the camera
baseplate). This effectively raised the lens mount an extra 3mm off the hex
plate. I drilled a hole in the PVC for the 1/4" tripod thread to go thru,
and secured the PVC to the top of the hex plate with cloth masking tape
(bright blue!  I haven't ever got around to finding some "sophisticated"
black coloured tape). I guess duct tape would do just as well. It sounds
messy, but it is quite secure (the PVC is sandwiched hard between the
camera base and the cork of the hexplate) and it works well. Doesn't look
too flash I guess, but it gets the job done!

I only use this set up when not using a Winder 2 on the body. I find that
the thread hole in the bottom of the Winder 2 is deeper, and the extra
thickness of the PVC stops the 1/4" thread going further in.

 I am not fortunate enough to own a Zuiko 300mm f4.5 :-(    so I can't help
there sorry!

peter