Re: [OM] Found some Bellows at Last!

Subject: Re: [OM] Found some Bellows at Last!
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 10:38:46 +0100
At 8:45 am +0000 16/2/98, Frank van Lindert wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Feb 1998 22:32:32 +0100, Clive Warren
><Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Sniplet
>>Now it makes sense to look for a couple more macro lenses.  Has anyone had
>>experience of the two wide angle bellows lenses?  The use of these lenses
>>(20mm and 38mm?  off the top of my head) was mentioned in a thread some
>>time ago.

Snipplety snipletson

>Both macro heads give beautiful pictures. The magnification (up to
>12x) makes a heavy tripod or special macro stand necessary. I use my
>bellows almost exclusively indoors, in laboratory-like conditions. You
>will of course need much light, both for modeling-and-focusing and for
>shooting. Two T-32's on little tripods or other stands will prove
>useful for the shooting, but you will need a good set of halogen
>lights to model.
>
>The 20 and 38mm macro heads aren't very easy to be found. The older
>types (which need the adapter) do have a standard (?) microscope
>thread, therefore you might find a good substitute from another brand
>once you have got a PM-Tob adapter to try the thread. Normal
>microscope objectives may fit this adapter as well. They don't have
>diafragms though. The older 20 and 38 Zuiko's are just microscope
>objective lenses with a diafragm built in, as far as I know.
>
>I don't know if you already own a 80mm macro head, but this one is my
>favorite on the bellows. I am referring to the older, non automatic
>one which has no focusing aid built in. But the aperture setting (all
>manual) is superb here. Again: the automatic version will do better on
>the zoom-tube of course.
>
>Hope this helps,

Thanks Frank, useful info. especially about the PM-Tob adapter.  Have a
feeling that some lens experimentation is just around the corner.  Do you
know if there are limitations in how far a diaphragm can be placed from a
lens?

Re. the microscope lens theory - I have been considering some
experimentation here already, having played around with a microscope
recently.  Was wondering whether you also need to use the microscope
viewing lens or something similar somewhere inside the bellows.......

Yes I do have the 80mm macro lens together with a zoom tube and it is one
of the older, non automatic versions.  Have to say that it is a bit
irritating to use on a focussing stage with live bugs, however quality is
superb.

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com