Re: [OM] 50mm versions?

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm versions?
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:37:50 EST
Hi Giles and Lars and others:

Draw a 24 x 36 mm box, place points on the longest diagonal at 7, 14 and 21.5
mm in both directions from the center, draw perfect circles around paired
points, then evaluate the area within the circles.  While everyone's subject
matter differs, I'd argue mathematically that the 1/3 out and 2/3rds out
"zones" (essentially the area from 3.5 to 17.5 mm off center) is the most
critical area (i.e., it is what you see the most of in my typical pictures =
landscapes).  If a lens is stellar in the center and drops off with each
successive zone going outwards, you are wasting the center performance on very
little total area.  It the corners are high in relation to everything else,
you are wasting it on minor area in the four corners of the frame.

I can't know what was in the mind of Yoshisada Hayamizu and his team of OLY
lens designers, but I would speculate that published lens test results
influenced lens design changes in the 50 mm f/1.8 (as well as cost reduction
and the related price/performance increases).  As a software beta tester I've
noted how the software designers are very cognizant of published reviews and
perceived shortcomings of their product.  If the reviews say it doesn't work
like a competing Microsoft product, then the product seems to get changed to
mimic the Microsoft look and feel, whether or not the original design was
functionally superior.  Just think back on how every new OLY model had a lens
test on its normal lens.  It behoved Olympus to get the prime lens "right"
(based on market perception!) or the model might be written off on lens
performance alone.

In a previous move, I threw out all my files on OLY stuff: test reports,
product literature, the works.  (Yup, I regret it now).  Yet, I worked with my
lenses long enough to know them and I've long felt the original chrome ring
non-MC 50 mm f/1.8 put the performance spike were it was most needed my me:
1/3 to 2/3rds out.  (P.S., I've used more than one sample).  So for me the
evolution to more eveness in performance across the field wasn't an
improvement, although some  pictures can benefit from it.  That is when the 50
mm f/2.0 macro comes out - assuming I'm carrying it.

Gary (loves choices) Reese
Las Vegas, NV