[OM] Apologies to the Group

Subject: [OM] Apologies to the Group
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 22:18:53 -0800
I am afraid I did not lurk long enough before responding to what I thought
was an unreasonable attack on the commercial interest on the list
personified by the olympus guy. I have grown to regret my defense of his
activities and I apologize to the people who have suffered his inane

The substance of what I said was that it was valuable to have a dealer
interested enough in your camera to let you know he had the rare whatever
you were looking for. Unfortunately, I presumed interest when it was not
there. I have seen enough of the responses now to realize that he has no
interest in the list beyond its use as a sales opportunity. He does not
read what is written and, as a result, his responses frequently miss the
point, such as when he offered to sell Wein cells to someone who stated he
had access to mercury cells in Europe. He never contributes information
that indicates that he has much understanding of Olympus equipment or of
the photographic art.  He is content to tag onto someone else's careful
explanation with a "Yes, that is true and I have this for sale" kind of
response.  His only contribution are sales offers which he is not willing
to make privately, which he would do if he were only trying to help as he
protests. Not only that, he works his way down the list and publicly makes
the offer to each person who was a party to the thread. By the time he is
done everyone on the list has seen him offer the same item 4 or 5 times. I
am sure he considers this good exposure for potential sales and thus good
business, but it looks like rude, sweaty avarice. He probably goes on to
work some other list as the Pentax Guy or the Minolta Guy.

I admit I am new to this list business and do not know whether something
can be done to remedy this situation, but I would be happy to go along with
whatever can be done that is okay with the others on the list. In the
meantime, I have set up a filter to put the olympus dude in the trash when
he comes in.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California