Re: [OM] Wildlife *IN* my camera!

Subject: Re: [OM] Wildlife *IN* my camera!
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 17:06:00 -0700
At 08:21 PM 2/13/98 +0000, Ian M. Stewart <ims@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

>I'm reluctant to
>disassemble the camera for one insect.  What should I do?
>
>I've considered cooking it in an oven, and microwaving it.  The microwave
>would probably induce some high current in some fine wire and damage the
>electronics.

Do NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES MICROWAVE THE CAMERA, unless you *like*
watching high-frequency fireworks and experiencing the joys of breathing
vaporized metals and watching your camera burst into flames.

>I think the best solution is likely to be some fumigating
>technique, but with what?  I need something that will poison the insect but
>not mark the mirror or corode any part of the camera, and especially not
>leave a deposit on anything.

>What does the team think?

I don't know what anyone else thinks -- I think you should get a
professional to disassemble and clean the camera.  Fumigation is the wrong
solution, even if you can do it without directly affecting the camera's
innards -- the insect's corpse (and possibly eggs) will still be inside the
camera, and could jam a mechanism.  It will also be "food" for any other
insects you might have around.

>Am I wrong to be panicking?

You shouldn't panic, but you *should* decide really quickly whether you
want to save the camera.  If so, take it to a service centre, explain why
they need to get to it right away, and order a "rush" job on it.  Make sure
you get an estimate first -- at that point you might decide it's beyond
saving if the estimate is higher than the replacement cost of the camera.

Sorry about this problem.

Garth