Re: [OM] Wildlife *IN* my camera!

Subject: Re: [OM] Wildlife *IN* my camera!
From: Kennedy <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 12:20:04 +0000
In article , Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx> writes
>You know something like mothballs will damage a camera and they are pretty
>benign next to formaldehyde. Maybe something more conservative should be
>tried first. Why not try packing the camera in a small container with lots
>of silica gel. Dry the little suckers out.

I doubt that silica gel would be sufficient to do that, but it might
prevent their foodstuff from growing in the longer term.  I think they
live on the fungus that forms when the cameras are stored in slightly
damp conditions.

This might work a bit faster : pop it in a poly bag with silica gel
straight from the oven or microwave to prime it, leave it for a day to
dry out then pop the whole package into the freezer for a couple of
days.  Leave the package a few hours to defrost before opening it.

The freezing cold should kill it, whilst the silica gel will prevent the
free moisture in the camera from condensing on the optics and leaving
any residue.

I doubt that it is going to be doing any harm living in there - the
place I worked in the 70s had several Pentax Spotmatics that had these
(or similar) little bugs in them due to poor storage.  They were still
working fine years later when I left, and the bugs were still there -
probably generations old!
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)