Re: [OM] low light exposures (was)Re: [OM] Olympus Calendar

Subject: Re: [OM] low light exposures (was)Re: [OM] Olympus Calendar
From: "Doug Nowlin" <wa5ohb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 10:49:33 -0600

>That may be the reason for underexposure. Last evening, I've checked the
>negatives and positives of evening and night scenes that were taken
>under similar conditions with the same camera. Actually it was mostly the
>positives that were underexposed. This makes me think that it may as well
>be the exposure sensitivity curve of the film which makes this behaviour.
>I have no idea about the exposure sensitivity-versus-time plots for
>various films, though.
>
>Omer Nezih GEREK

>> >  > average metering underexpose at very low light intensity levels?
>> >  > Surprisingly, the slides at dusk and dawn are perfectly exposed
>> >  > with slight underexposure (the overall intensity is lower than
>> >  > an average gray) which gives an excellent feeling.

As far as I know, of the OM-2 and OM-2Ns, only the early OM-2 models used
any form of center weighted OTF metering. I believe John H. said this only
works at speeds faster than around 1/30 sec. Later models are totally full
frame averaging OTF. I have two of the CW OM-2s that can be identified by
the pattern of white dots on the curtain. I have done a lot of playing
around with mine at night. Using slide film would be really ambitious due to
the very critical exposure requirement. As someone pointed out, there is
reciprocity failure that changes both time and color with long exposure.
This varies greatly between films, and color shift can usually be dealt with
in printing negative film. The easiest solution is to use a print film with
little  reciprocity failure.  As Shipman points out in his books, many other
factors come into play that can offset reciprocity failure. I have shot many
pictures at night using Fuji Super G Plus 400 that are virtually
indistinguishable from daytime shots. I wonder how the new Kodak Gold Max
works. It does have the latitude, but I don't know about reciprocity
failure. I have been unsuccessful in finding reciprocity failure data for
many films.

Doug

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx