[OM] Battery cover coin? Send them in!

Subject: [OM] Battery cover coin? Send them in!
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 10:37:12 GMT
On Sat, 17 Jan 1998 17:12:42 -0800, Tomoko Yamamoto
<tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>At 09:20 PM 1/17/98 GMT, Frank van Lindert wrote:
>>On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 16:31:57 -0800, Tomoko Yamamoto
>><tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>>I tried my 100 yen coin on the battery covers of all three of my OM bodies.
>>> The 100 yen fits best into the groove and gives the largest torque.
>>>However, the other coins work just as well since the opening does not
>>>require too much of force anyway.  I decided on a 50 yen coin to use
>>>because the 50 and 5 yen coins have a hole in the center, and so I don't
>>>have to drill a new hole.
>>>
>>A hole in the coin? I have never seen Yen-coins...
>>
>>How smart the Japanese are, Tomoko, to design and issue coins with
>>pre-drilled holes to suit all made-in-Japan camera owners who need
>>them for their battery covers!
>>
>Do you think they should have included their 50-yen coin in every camera
>kit they export?
>

>Tomoko Yamamoto
>Photographer, Composer, Soprano

That would be a great marketing idea, Tomoko.
Now almost nobody knows what these coins look like...
How big? how thick?

But this brings me to another great idea.
Let's start an experimental research project to establish what is the
best fitting coin for the different Olympus cameras, grips, etcetera.

I will volunteer to do the field work

Since it is not practical to travel around the globe with all kinds of
Olympus equipment in my luggage, I suggest that every member of this
list sends his or her favorite coins to me (might be more, with an
indication of which coin is best for which cover). Please send as many
as possible, but only ones that are still being used!

I will publish the results on this list, of course.
I will not distinguish between standard flat round coins and luxury
predrilled ones: it is only the radius of curvature and the thickness
that will count.

>From my own coin box (we Europeans all have large piles of cigar
boxes, each devoted to one of the many currencies needed for a trip on
this continent) I found the Irish punt as being the best fitting so
far for OM-1 battery covers. (diameter 31mm (big!), thick 2.0mm).

You may start sending your money (coins only, please) right now.

All the best,

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht - Netherlands.

#