Re: [OM] Digital Cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Cameras
From: Jeff Spirer <jeffs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 19:17:05 -0800
At 08:13 PM 1/13/98 -0500, Jeff Kirsch wrote:

about this camera. Do I have the wrong list? What are some of the pros and cons of digital cameras? The reason I want a camera is mainly for work. I build swimming pools in the North Cehtral Florida area and want to have before, during, and after pictures of my work. I am considering a digital camera for several reasons. (1) I can take as many pictures as I want to without having to worry about buying film, dropping it off for development, picking it up again, ect. (2) Without film and development expenses, the extra price for the digital camera would pay for its self. I already have a computer capable of working with graphics and a color printer.

<<<<

I haven't used digital cameras too much, but regarding your points:

1) You will have to buy a lot of those memory modules to store as many photos as you want. Now if you are shooting a small amount of photos, putting them in the computer, and then shooting some more the next day, it isn't such a problem. Or if you are going to do heavy editing, i.e., throwing away photos, on site, it would be OK. Otherwise, it isn't particularly cheap. This will be fixed since Sony has the right idea - their system uses a floppy - and I think some of the other manufacturers will move to the floppy. That makes it a lot cheaper.

2) If you have looked into the cost of photo quality paper, you will see that cost savings isn't part of the equation. If screen presentation is going to be a primary factor in your marketing of your work, a digital camera certainly makes sense at this point.

I want to make it clear that I am not anti-digital, and I think digital will replace the entire low end of the SLR market and some of the high end in the p&s market quickly. And if I had the money, I would buy a drum scanner and a high end digital printer because the quality is already at the same quality as darkroom produced work. But it doesn't sound like you couldn't do just as well with a good quality point and shoot zoom or an Olympus IS-x.

Jeff Spirer
Axiom/Material
http://www.hyperreal.org/axiom/
################################################################## # This message was delivered via the Olympus Mailing List # To receive the Olympus Digest send mail to: listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx # with subscribe olympus-digest in the message body. # # To unsubscribe from the current list send a message to # listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with unsubscribe olympus in the message body. # # For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ##################################################################