Re: [OM] Automatic exposure problems

Subject: Re: [OM] Automatic exposure problems
From: "Marco" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11 Jan 98 11:23:51 +0100
On Dom, 11 gen 1998 4:00, Stephen D. Goss <mailto:sdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>Help!
>My OM2n seems to be overexposing.  It started out that it was just
>on shots I took outdoors, and it was controllable by dialing in one
>stop or so of underexposure.  But the last two rolls (slides) that
>came back vary from a bit overexposed to totally washed out, even
>the flash pictures.  It's not just the flash overpowering a
>foreground subject, the whole frame is overexposed.  The strange
>thing is that two or three of the shots on each roll look ok.  Plus,
>I took a short roll of print film, and it seemed to come out ok.  I
>guess they managed to resurrect it while printing.  I guess my main
>question is whether this could be a problem with the camera, or
>whether it's a problem with that big lump behind it.  Does the 2n
>suffer from oily magnets?

Don't know about repair problems, but in a good order camera overexposing
(appreciable on slides only) is generally due to excessive f/ opening
(camera cannot stand a shortest time than a 1/1000 or even 1/2000 according
to recent messages). With a 100 ASA EI in sunshine it is safe to open f/5.6
or less. I did this mistake often when shooting from 25 to 64 ASA with my
100 f/2.8 lens.

The second major problem is due to flash in externals. When you use a flash
in auto mode, camera sets at 1/60 and it is very easy to overexpose. You
should use a very slow film to counteract this fact, or a very powerful
flash, closing the lens a lot. Modern srls allow an auto control of flash
in externals, but not the OMs.

Marco

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx