[OM] Automatic exposure problems

Subject: [OM] Automatic exposure problems
From: sdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Stephen D. Goss)
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 22:08:53 -0600 (CST)
>>Help!
>>My OM2n seems to be overexposing.  It started out that it was just
>>on shots I took outdoors, and it was controllable by dialing in one
>>stop or so of underexposure.  But the last two rolls (slides) that
>>came back vary from a bit overexposed to totally washed out, even
>>the flash pictures.  It's not just the flash overpowering a
>>foreground subject, the whole frame is overexposed.  The strange
>>thing is that two or three of the shots on each roll look ok.  Plus,
>>I took a short roll of print film, and it seemed to come out ok.  I
>>guess they managed to resurrect it while printing.  I guess my main
>>question is whether this could be a problem with the camera, or
>>whether it's a problem with that big lump behind it.  Does the 2n
>>suffer from oily magnets?

>From: "Marco" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Don't know about repair problems, but in a good order camera overexposing
>(appreciable on slides only) is generally due to excessive f/ opening
>(camera cannot stand a shortest time than a 1/1000 or even 1/2000 according
>to recent messages). With a 100 ASA EI in sunshine it is safe to open f/5.6
>or less. I did this mistake often when shooting from 25 to 64 ASA with my
>100 f/2.8 lens.

Which explains why my exterior shots have been over exposed recently.
That lump behind the camera has been leaving the f stop wide open from
the interior shots.

>From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)
>Possibly, but *don't jump to that conclusion*; I've been down this
>road too!

The conclusion that my brain is dead, or just my camera?  Sometimes
I wonder...

>Did this happen in automatic mode?

Yes, auto mode is about all I use.  Laziness, mostly.

>Try a roll using manual mode throughout, using the camera's own meter.
>If that's perfect, it's *not* an oily magnet.
>If that is so, the most likely cause is a dirty ASA resistor or its
>associated wiper, which only affects the auto mode; there's nothing
>wrong with the shutter itself.  You can confirm this by trying another
>roll, this time in auto mode; before each exposure turn the exposure
>compensation dial back and forth several times to clean the resistor
>(temporarily).
>If all or most of your exposures are then OK then Hey Presto! The fact
>that your flash pictures are very over exposed too makes this
>conclusion almost certain. If it were an oily magnet that would not
>happen, unless the shutter was held open so long that the ambient
>light was predominant.
>[snip]
>AFAIK the cleaning is straightforward and nothing is likely to need
>replacing.

Except some of the foam, but I was expecting that.

>Jim Terazawa wrote:
> Steve,
> Since you are in the Dallas area, I would take it to Photosphere of Dallas.
> I think the service is very reasonable.
> Regards,
> Jim

>From: John Hermanson <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
>Your 2N could have oily magnet but it may be a  combination of things.
>Could also be a bad circuit.   If you are interested, I service them, and
>have extensively since `1977.
>If turnaround time is a concern (last I heard Photosphere was 3 months) my
>turnaround time is 4 weeks.  Clint & I worked together.  The only difference in
>our work status is that CAMTECH does not have to take in new Olympus product
>still under the 1 year warranty.
>John Hermanson
>Camtech

I would have taken it over to Photosphere Saturday, but they're only open
Monday through Friday.  I'd rather drive halfway across town than mail it
halfway across the country.  And Photosphere has almost as good a reputation
as Camtech. I guess I'll be back to using my OM1, like Lee Hawkins.

--
Steve Goss, Dallas Texas, usa
sdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

#