[OM] IS-1000 questions

Subject: [OM] IS-1000 questions
From: "Alex Wetmore (Exchange)" <awetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 08:30:01 -0800
I recently purchased a used IS-1000 and have some questions that I'm
hoping someone on here can answer for me (I know this list is mostly
about the OM series cameras, but I'm sure someone has an IS camera
too...)

Background wise I bought this camera to have something small and usable
for backpacking and travel trips, when I don't want to bring along my
normal SLR (a Pentax Spotmatic, which takes up a lot of space and is
pretty heavy when I bring along the three primary lenses that I
generally use (28, 50, 135)).  I didn't get a manual with the IS-1000,
but I've figured out most of the features.  I've tried ordering a manual
from Olympus USA twice, but neither one has shown up.  A few days ago I
tried to order a manual for an IS-1, hopefully this one will show up.

First of all, I think that I got a European camera even though I got it
from someone in the US.  Does anyone know if the IS-1000 is really the
same as an IS-1?  My camera is 35-135/4-5.6 zoom and I think its from
the late 70s to early 80s.  The controls are different then the modern
IS cameras... rather then having the 4 buttons arranged in a tight
circle near the shutter button it has them on the back of the camera
next to an LCD.

Questions about features:
1) Is there any way to set the zoom memory without having to step
through all of the subject modes (the first of which changes the zoom
length)?  It seems like it could be a useful feature if it wasn't so
hidden.  Right now I've just set it to correspond roughly to 50mm so
that I can easily get to a normal lense.  This feature is additionally
annoying because pressing the subject button automatically puts the
camera into fully automatic mode, so setting the zoom memory while in
manual mode involves excessive button pressing.

2) There is a portrait mode on this camera that seems to try and
automatically zoom to frame a person.  You can pick a number between 1
and 3.  I doubt I'll ever have much use for this mode (I'd rather use
apepture priority mode and frame it myself), but I'm just wondering how
it is supposed to work.

3) What does the camera do differently in nighttime mode from its normal
automatic mode.

4) Does anyone have any information on the flash?  I know that there are
two flash tubes... at what zoom length does the camera change between
them.  What shutter speed does the flash sync at?  What are the guide
numbers of the flashes?

I don't have much experience with automatic flashes like this (the flash
that I use with the Pentax is pretty simple).  Does anyone have any
hints on effectivly using the flash?  How does the camera select the
flash duration?

Thats all that I can think of for now.  If anyone has any other
interesting information about the camera please let me know.

thanks,
alex

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx