[OM] Re(2): pushing film

Subject: [OM] Re(2): pushing film
From: Peter Leyssens <Peter.Leyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 12:00:00 +0100
Again, a summary :
1) Gene : So, if I take your point that Rodinal has sharp edges on the
grains, the fact that you get a lot of grain by pushing can be explained
because there's more contrast in the picture.  Because the grain next to
this one will be a big difference in tone and therefore you notice the
grain more, right ?
2) Gene : So Uncle Ansel is really saying : overexpose to get as much
info on the negative, then develop in such a way that the darkest spots
still show textured black.  And I'm saying : I don't want a lot of info
on my negative, but I want to see it all anyway !  Right, I can
understand that you won't get the results the film manufacturer wants
you to get if you mistreat your film this way.
3) Shawn : I should get myself a copy of The Negative.  I can feel it in
my toes that this is a book I'm going to learn one hell of a lot from,
but at this moment, those Roman figures are driving me nuts.  I've
written down the ISBN number already ...  Now : am I going to wait for
my birthday (end of march) to ask it as a present, or will the
temptation be to large ?
4) Shawn : how do you do that, measure the negatives on a light table
with the spot meter ?
5) Lars : 'grain like macadam', got to remember that expression.  If I
understand Gene correctly, the grain doesn't get larger, only more
noticable.  Or is it really possible to get a "Single-Grain Negative"
(tm) ?
6) Lars : Thanks for mentioning the pre-exposure !  There are tricks
like that that I have forgotten (because I only knew they existed and I
never tried them).  A pre-expose button would be great and would
certainly position the OM-5 as a professional camera !  More like
Hasselblad than like Leica.
7) Marco : What is the procedure for pre-exposing (or rather -
post-exposing) in the darkroom ?  You can't just turn on the light with
the film laying there, the exposure would be too uneven and the time
would be uncontrolled, wouldn't it ?

Thanks for all the hints and all the theory !

--
Peter Leyssens
Eonic Systems

Support mail : support@xxxxxxxxx