Re: [OM] Dangling Cameras [was Sticky rubber knobs]

Subject: Re: [OM] Dangling Cameras [was Sticky rubber knobs]
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 09:23:25 -0700
At 3/21/2024 03:59 PM, Mike wrote:
>....problem with all such straps is the camera is hanging on a swivel. That
>allo
>ws
>the camera to spin around, not stable at the side. The black rapid does have
>"Spring-loaded bumper locks" which are handy, but the swivel is a problem for
>me, especially when hiking.
>
>I have thought about a chest harness......The problem I see with that is if I
>ha
>ve another pack on, now there are two
>competing things to deal with, but...
>
>   I agree Wayne. I do a lot of hiking with a pack and a camera. So that's
>   why I went with the OpTech Reporter straps.  They attach to the pack
>   straps which shifts the load to the packs built in harness system. I
>   added the extensions so that I can just raise the camera to my eye for
>   shooting and not have to un-clip (which is easy enough) . May not be
>   necessary depending upon your pack. I added the stabilizer to hold the
>   camera from bouncing around while hiking. I would advise against the
>   single point carry as shown in the photo in the  link below for the
>   reason Wayne suggests.
>   All the parts and pieces:
>   -Attach these (2) to the camera eyelets. I use these because the ones
>   on the reporter straps are too big to leave on the camera. Plus I need
>   the extension. And they can function with the various other OpTech
>   straps if I ever decide.
>   [1]https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/736105-REG/OP_TECH_USA_130108
>   2_System_Connectors_Mini_QD.html
>   -These attach to the Reporter Straps and the mini connectors on the
>   camera and may provide enough extension. If longer is needed see 2nd
>   link.
>   [2]https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1222646-REG/op_tech_usa_13012
>   02_system_connectors_mini_quick_disconnect.html
>   [3]https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1043535-REG/op_tech_usa_13014
>   52_system_connectors_mirrorless_mini_qd.html
>   -Reporter Straps
>   [4]https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/485766-REG/OP_TECH_USA_130165
>   2_System_Connectors_Reporter_Backpack_Set_of.html
>   -Use this Stabilizer Strap to keep the camera from bouncing around. It
>   is easy to slip in and out. I use the 12-100mm which tends to be nose
>   heavy and point down but not a problem. The 14-150mm and smaller are
>   held horizontal.
>   [5]https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/39643-REG/OP_TECH_USA_5301002
>   _Stabilizer_Strap.html
>   Be aware that you may have to purchase two of some items to get the
>   right male/female quick disconnect orientation. Not an issue since most
>   items are less than $10. Some of the other options would be approaching
>   3 figures and not be as functional IMHO
>   Mike
>
>References
>
>   1.
> https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/736105-REG/OP_TECH_USA_1301082_System_Connectors_Mini_QD.html
> [...]

Interesting ideas. I'll have to investigate as I'm not fully understanding.

These Peak Desigh anchor links:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1420524-REG/peak_design_al_4_anchor_connectors_for_peak.html
that may allow adapting to my existing peak design anchors to your method?

And maybe these:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1449653-REG/peak_design_4pk_cc_1_c_clips_4_pack.html
could come in handy in some manor?

[OT] Hand Strap:
Just for reference I saw this hand strap for smaller cameras from PD
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1762314-REG/peak_design_mc_l_1_micro_clutch_l_plate.html
maybe of interest? Don't watch the video though, it shows something terrible
happening to a camera that involves rocks.

Update:
Digging through my container of a plethora of straps, going back to 90s, I found
two OP/TECH backpack system connectors. They must have been available for quite
a while for me to have some from the 90s. I attached the PD anchor links to the
Op/Tech backpack system connectors.

The unfortunate thing for me is newer backpacks may not work well, such as my
Osprey Raptor 14. However,  I have a MountainSmith Day hip-pack with optional
Strapettes https://mountainsmith.com/products/strapettes that does work.
I can adjust the height of the cross strap to raise the camera, with attached
the
PD links it looks like a working system.

Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

WayneS