Re: [OM] OT: Throttled speed on ethernet extender

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Throttled speed on ethernet extender
From: usher99--- via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 22:16:05 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: "usher99@xxxxxxx" <usher99@xxxxxxx>
<<Let me see if I understand. You have ethernet from the FIOS box. The coax is
just for the TV. Yet you are connecting a Moca ethernet <<adapter (you are
calling an extender?) to that for the purpose of ??. Because you don't want to
run strictly on the ethernet?
I think the confusion is the Verizon "extender" that retransmits wifi with same
network name also has Ethernet ports so acts as a Moca adapter as well.  With
my old extender and router I curiously had not a lick of  trouble with the wifi
speed.  If I take the vera controller and plug it right into one of the two
ethernet ports on the "extender" the wifi speed and ethernet wired speed to the
extender is down to 10/10.  Coax is used only because it already had been run
from the router and I don't want to run ethernet cable in the basement and have
to fish it  into  the cabinet.
https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/products/veraplus-z-wave-plus-advanced-home-controller

The Vera controller is now almost 5 years old and I think the company gave up
on it and there are no backward compatible replacements as of yet. So if I
confirm that the  lousy 10/100 switch with the other 4 items sans Vera has no
issues with the new extender perhaps I can give the Vera its own path back to
the router with this:
https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/equipment/moca-ethernet-adapter
I will split the coax 3 ways:  1 (fios tv box, "Extender", Moca adapter for the
pesky  Vera.If I read you correctly, that may work.  10 mbs for the Vera is
plenty.  It has to turn a few things on and off.  Appreciate your thinking
about this. I just pulled that solution out of the air and have little
experience.  The weekend tech support person from Verizon clearly didn't have a
clue.
Still poking along, Mike