Re: [OM] News from Topaz

Subject: Re: [OM] News from Topaz
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:29:37 -0800
On 11/27/2023 9:05 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
Topaz studio is a fun tool to play with. I became disappointed when they
discontinued support for that.

Does it need support? It works, just isn't having stuff added.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder. When I've wanted various effects the last few years, I've turned to Snap Art. It may also be abandoned for development, but my ver. 4 works fine. Even with just one or the other, the range of effects and adjustments within them is a bit overwhelming.

Photoshop has added some interesting alternatives to some of the features with
the new neural filters.

Haven't even looked yet. 🙂

With modern photos taken decently I don't need the power of photo AI as Denoise
seems to do most of what I need.

The Clear Mode in Denoise AI also gently brings out details, which is often
just right.

Only my older photos and badly taken photos do I ever use sharpen AI and even
though I have Photo AI I don't use it.

Yeah, I only just tried it out again due to this thread.

Some of my topaz studio images:
https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAvWiU
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NtM2FdoSjLnsA7Cd7

It feels like Topaz Labs is betting on tools that others are also providing.

Topaz has been on the leading edge. DxO Raw sharpening is close, but I haven't compared it to Topaz' Raw processing as yet. I've always worked on files already converted by LR/ACR.

Studio was unique.

Still is, in the sense that it still works. Isn't/wasn't, in the sense of having artsy effects. I know I've tried other apps, in addition to Snap Art, that do that sort of stuff, but don't recall what.

LOTs if them for phone/tablets. The majority of the photos in this gallery were taken using Paper Camera. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=19224> Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available in the App Store for iOS any more, although my old copy has transferred through two phone upgrades intact. Some other apps look similar.

Just Appointed Moose