[OM] Spiral optics

Subject: [OM] Spiral optics
From: usher99--- via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 22:38:00 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: "usher99@xxxxxxx" <usher99@xxxxxxx>
Someone in Bordeaux is thinking outside the box (something I tell our cat
Othello never to do).   They used optical vortices to extend the depth of
field.   I attached the paper as well.  This would have implications for
contact lenses rather quickly and much more slowly for IOL's for cataract
replacements.  I suspect spiral optics will be much better than diffractive
optics for IOL's with fewer dysphotopsias and no problem with pupil sizes.  How
the spiral lenses will compare to lenses using aberrations to extend dof is not
clear.The no free lunch rule of optics dictates that contrast sensitivity at
some spatial frequencies must suffer as one is still spreading finite photons
over various focal distances.  Truly accommodating IOL's will still be superior
in that respect.
http://tinyurl.com/2s4csjdj

https://opg.optica.org/optica/fulltext.cfm?uri=optica-11-2-238&id=546413

Seeing clearly, Mike