Re: [OM] OT: Throttled speed on ethernet extender

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Throttled speed on ethernet extender
From: usher99--- via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 22:18:01 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: "usher99@xxxxxxx" <usher99@xxxxxxx>
WayneS writes:

<<Trying to understand what you are doing?

<<So is the ethernet switch connected to the Moca a 10/100 switch? If so, get a
1000 switch. If the Moca is expecting 1G speed but the switch <<does not
support that, it likely drops to 10 rather than 100.<<How old is your FIOS box?
I recalled last time I had FIOS in Massachusetts they used ethernet and moca
was phased out. If you call up Verizon <<and ask for a 1Gig plan they will be
forced to replace your old box and no more coax.

Thank you for thinking about this Wayne.  We had the ONT updated perhaps 5
years ago with a >1GB plan.  The cable coming up from the FIOS box in the
basement is now ethernet cable and not coax.  The coax is only used to go to
the FIOS TV box from the router. (wired backhaul because that cable was already
in situ)   The coax is split to the FIOS TV and then the extender.  So the
wired backhaul for the extender is coax and not ethernet.  The new router and
extender are a few months old.  The Ethernet switch is plugged into one of the
lan ports on the extender.  The new extender (Unlike the old) throttles all
traffic and the wifi at 10 mbs. If I unplug the Ethernet switch all is as it
should be. The Vera controller is one device plugged into the switch. If I plug
just that one device into a lan port on the extender it is back down to 10/10
upload and download wired and WIFI.  I tried changing the coax (3ft cable) from
the splitter to the extender but that made no difference.  I have not yet tried
just unplugging the vera controller from the switch box and see if the speeds
stay up.  I hated that switchbox but that was all the electrician had when I
had him help me  fish wires to redo  my subwoofers and AV gear.  100 mbs is
good enough for AV stuff for now.  I thought the MOCA adapter hooked up on a 3
way splitter  (Fios TV box, Extender, Moca adapter) and put the culprit device
on that MIGHT fix the whole issue.  Why the new Extender doesn't behave, I have
no clue.
Pokey Parkway, Mike