[OM] Farewell to Brian Swale

Subject: [OM] Farewell to Brian Swale
From: "Michael R. Collins" <MRC.OlympusList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:08:27 -0400
Brian Swale was a gentle soul, a lovely gentleman. I met him through his posts and discussions on this list, and then in person on a trip that my wife (then fiancée) Karen and I made to New Zealand in 2014. We were staying in Cromwell, near to his town, to explore Central Otago and its wineries, and Brian offered to give us a scenic tour of the area; we picked up sandwiches at a local shop, listened to his stories of the area as he drove, and picnicked on a riverbank in the midst of beautiful scenery. On return, we stopped at his house to meet Maggie and have a chat.

Although I don't think I ever mentioned to him, Brian "joined us" at our wedding in 2015. We had chosen to name the tables by places we had visited around the world, and had a photograph from each place as a table marker, rather than just numbers. "Central Otago" was one of the photos, of Brian and myself at lunch by the riverbank, taken by Karen.

Fond memories of all these chance meetings!

Michael and Karen