[OM] Nathan's PAD 23/2/2023: explaining the past (and a proper Leica fil

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 23/2/2023: explaining the past (and a proper Leica film photo too)
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 12:57:04 +0100
A proper Leica image this time—shot on film with the Leica M2 and developed by
me. The background: on 25 May 1938, Alicante was the victim of one of the many
war crimes during the Spanish Civil War. The city was besieged, and starvation
was widespread. On that day, the attackers knew that there would be a delivery
of fish to the Central Market, and so Mussolini’s air force chose to bomb the
market—the objective was clearly to sow terror among the population, there were
no military targets anywhere nearby. More than 300 people were killed.

Today the square is called Plaza del 25 de Mayo, and in 2013 a memorial plaque
was installed on the pavement (the fact that it took so long after
re-establishment of democracy in 1978 is another story). Most people just walk
by, but I noticed a father explaining the meaning of the memorial to his young
daughter:

https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-7FBJMQn/A

Cheers,
Nathan