Re: [OM] Capture one black friday

Subject: Re: [OM] Capture one black friday
From: ian <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 17:26:57 +0100
I switched to using Capture One when adobe became subscription based - and have gone through the versions,starting with 19 capture 22 was much like the lightroom I remembered and I preupgraded to 23, which I have not had much time to use - I  have a LOT of photos in one catalog (probable no where as many as Tina though) and it seems to handle it ok at least on my hardware.

I don't expect there is a lot of difference feature wise between lightoom and capture one now but I have two nagging issues with C1 first is that it can only be open on one computer at a time so if I work on my desktop and then want to move rooms to my laptop I have to shut C1 down and the other is that I think that there are more plugins that integrate easier with lightroom.

I would say the 23 version is an upgrade on 21 but you can always test with a trial.  however I was having some memory issues with my Mac using version 23 in that it reported C1 using 157GB of memory (most swapped to the ssd as I only have 64GB ) and I haven't found a way to limit it as I could in lightroom years ago.

However I have no experience of the new subscription based LR so YMMV.

sadly I have had little interest in "developing" any of the photos I have taken over the last few years (bad boss affected me more than it should) and kind of got out of the habit but now I have got rid of my old boss and swapped to a new one I am getting a spring back in my step but it's not quite there yet despite getting an OM-1 when it first came out in time for a tour of scandinavia earlier this year and now this week I have managed to get a fuji X-T5

Plan is that the OM-1 will be used for macro and telephoto  and X-T5 for landscape and general photos

ok I don't want to hijack the post anymore so summarising C1 version 23 is a vast improvement on the earlier versions and in my view a worthy contender for adobe products - I don't use the styles as it's easy enough to tweak in the software and when I looked at the previews of the styles I mostly preferred the before to the after look of colours etc..  unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an E-1 style which as I looked through my catalog gave me some stunning images or maybe the light was just different in those days :-)

Cheers Ian (aka swisspace)