[OM] Perceptual Color Space— speaking of TV’s

Subject: [OM] Perceptual Color Space— speaking of TV’s
From: MICHAEL GORDON via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 18:39:52 -0400
Cc: MICHAEL GORDON <usher99@xxxxxxx>
Moose enjoys the contrarian role and suspect he will like this.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/abs/10.1073/pnas.2119753119

For the past many decades the underlying assumption of human color perception
has been understood as an RGB 3D Riemannian geometric space where large
perceived color differences are equal to the sum of smaller differences between
the colors.  This informs color science for computer monitors, TV’s textiles,
etc. This model was suggested by Riemann and formulated by our quantum
mechanics friend Schrödinger as well as Hermann von Helmholtz.  Guess what?
It’s not correct.

Humans perceive large differences in color to be less than the sum you would
get if you added up small differences in color that lie between two widely
separated shades.
Riemannian geometry cannot account for this result and the true nature of the
color space is not yet known.  TV’s perhaps should be redesigned once we get a
handle on it, which shouldn’t be long.  Biological systems are messy even
though it is all physics digging down a couple more layers.

Off color, Mike