[OM] When is a m43 lens dead?

Subject: [OM] When is a m43 lens dead?
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 13:30:21 -0500
Sadly, I think my new-to-me mZ 12-40/2.8 may be dead.  The telltale sign is
that regardless of AF setting, it wants to be in MF.  I cannot change to
S-AF through the menu.  I can make the lens work in MF and take photos, so
it just won't autofocus and won't get into a position even to try.

All other lenses work appropriately, whether mZ mount or DZ lenses +  MMF
adapter.  I have a dead DZ 14-54 and, on MMF of course, it is also locked
on MF, except that light won't even pass through the glass on that one.

So I believe it must be a problem in the specific lens itself, not the
camera.

Anyone come to a different conclusion or have anything to try other than
what I have already tried?

TIA,
Joel W.