Re: [OM] Macro Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro Lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 14:36:19 -0700
On 5/21/2022 9:00 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
      For some time now I've been interested in the Olympus/Zuiko 55mm/1.2
macro lens. They tend to be horribly expensive, more than I would care to spend for a lens that
would only have occasional use.

Color me confused - or typoed.

The OM 55/1.2 is NOT a macro lens, but an early, fast normal lens. Although valued by some for its shallow DoF and softish rendering wide open, it's never been about high resolution. It was later replaced by the optically better 50/1.2

The OM 50/2 Macro is indeed an excellent macro lens. OTOH, the 50/3.5 Macro is as good at the apertures most used for macro. It's almost spectacularly good, sharp and flat field to the corners, @ 1:2, f8. I have two, and compared them to a few others.

Yesterday morning, Roberts Camera listed a Vivitar 55/2.8 equivalent for just
$70. After two counteroffers I picked it up for $65 with free shipping. Despite
the slower aperture, the Vivitar had much to offer above the Olympus. The
Vivitar goes down to 1.1 whereas the Olympus only goes to 1:1.2.

More cognitive dissonance. The OM 55/1.2 does indeed focus to 0.45m, as you say below, but at that distance, its repro ratio is 1:6.25 (coverage = 230x150 mm), far, far from macro.

The Vivitar has a 62mm filter thread while the Olympus is 55mm.
      But the biggest advantage is the focusing control. The Vivitar has almost
350 degrees of focusing ring rotation, and all but a few degrees is in the macro range of 0.24m to
5m. The Olympus only goes down to 0.45m, with less than 180 degrees of rotation in the macro range.
The only other lens I have that has this much control is the Tamron 01A, which I use for most
wildflower and insect photos.

The Tammy is a nifty little lens, indeed.

BTW, about the OM non-bellows macros only going to 1:2, while some others go directly to 1:1. I think Oly meant 1:1 to be covered by their 80/4 bellows lens.

They were very serious about their macro lenses, and about optimization of each
for specific magnifications.

The OM 50/3.5 is not as good @ 1:1, using extension tube, as at 1:2. Compared to the Kiron 105/2.8, which focuses directly to 1:1, the OM is better @ 1:2, and they are about tied @ 1:1.

This lens is going to be fun.

I hope so!